n. ~ IP2 · An organized and integrated set of detailed methods, policies, procedures, resources, routines, rules and tools established or formulated to carry out a specific activity, perform a duty, or solve a problem.
- CNSS-4009 (†730 p.72): Any organized assembly of resources and procedures united and regulated by interaction or interdependence to accomplish a set of specific functions. (†1753)
- International Records Management Trust 2009 (†572 s.v. system): An arrangement of people, materials, organisations, procedures or other elements associated with a particular function or outcome. A system is made up of inputs, processes and outputs. (†1007)
- Kurian 2013 (†576 s.v. system): Integration of components into a harmonious whole that works seamlessly and therefore can be understood and studied as a single unit. (†1081)
- NIST 2013 (†734 p. B-10): Information System - A discrete set of information resources organized for the collection, processing, maintenance, use, sharing, dissemination, or disposition of information. Note: Information systems also include specialized systems such as industrial/process controls systems, telephone switching and private branch exchange (PBX) systems, and environmental control systems. [44 U.S.C., Sec. 3502] (†1818)
- Wikipedia (†387 s.v. system (disambiguation) computer system): The combination of hardware and software which forms a complete, working computer. Computer systems will include the computer alongside any software (example: operating system, BIOS) and peripheral devices that are necessary to make the computer function. (†1006)